Our telephone support service, Hep Connect puts you in touch with someone who has been through hep C treatment.
“Throughout my 24 week treatment she was the only person I had contact with that had hep C….it meant so much to me to actually speak to another person who has been affected by hep C.”
Hep Connect is for people living with hep C, their partners and carers, and particularly for people who are thinking about starting hep C treatment, or are going through it.
When you speak to a Hep Connect worker, you will speak to someone who understands what it is like to go through treatment for hep C. This service is free for people in NSW.
Hep Connect can:
• Help you cope better with the course of treatment
• Assist in your decision whether to undergo treatment
• Provide an opportunity to discuss your personal experiences with a trained worker who has been through treatment
• Help prevent you from feeling alone and provide you with support
• Allow you to ask all those questions you might have thought a bit silly or were too afraid to ask your doctor or liver clinic nurse or consultant
Who can access Hep Connect?
• People living with hep C
• Partners & carers, family and friends of people living with hep C
• People thinking about treatment and people undergoing treatment
What can I expect from Hep Connect?
Our workers have all undergone treatment for hep C. They can provide support and encouragement to other people with hep C. This can include help in deciding whether or not to take treatment, as well as practical advice on ways to cope while on treatment.
Nine out of ten people who access Hep Connect say they feel less isolated as a result.
Hep Connect workers talk about their personal experiences and about their own treatment journeys. They can provide you with personal insight into treatment, what you might be able to expect and emotional support along the way.
You can talk to one or more workers to get different perspectives about treatment – each person’s journey is different. Support can be either a one off phone call or regular ongoing contact for the duration of your treatment or your friend’s, partner’s or relative’s treatment. At your request, we can try to match you with a peer who had the same length of treatment, a male or female, similar experiences and backgrounds. It’s your choice!
How do I access Hep Connect?
Tell the Hepatitis Infoline that you’d like to access Hep Connect. The Hepatitis Infoline will take your contact details and ask you what time of the day and which day of the week would be best for a Hep Connect worker to call you.
A Hep Connect worker will then call you at a time that works for you – this can be morning, afternoon or evening.
This page was last update 19 December 2016.