Living healthier, living smarter, living well with hepatitis C
Our health and wellbeing course, Living Well is for people living with hep C who are looking for ways to improve their health. The course is run by people who have hep C or have cleared it.
The course provides a safe and confidential space for people to get information about hep C, share their experiences with others and make steps to improving their health.
Living Well can be run as day, evening or weekend sessions, over 4-8 weeks, in Surry Hills or at your site.
Living Well will give you or your clients the confidence, knowledge, skills and resources, to self manage living well with hep C.
The aim of the Living Well program is to help participants become more informed, active and empowered consumers of the health system. We believe that the experts on living with hep C are the people who have lived with hep C.
Each course features guest speakers including dieticians and healthcare workers and we provide free catering for every session.
The 4 weeks are set out as follows:
1. Understanding Viral Hepatitis
- The ABCs of viral hepatitis
- When do you have to tell others you have hep C?
- Separating hep C facts from fiction
- Understanding your rights around disclosure
- Dealing with discrimination
2. Looking After Your Physical Health
- What your liver does and how to look after it
- Eating well and feeling better
- How to make the best food choices for your health
- The benefits of exercise
- Boosting our happy chemicals – serotonin, dopamine, endorphins, etc.
- Any questions answered by our guest dietician
3. Navigating The Health System
- Understanding the testing process
- How to get your liver health checked
- Getting to grips with treatment and what it involves
- All the information you need about the new treatments
- How to make the health system work for you
- Making the treatment process easier with our guest health worker from a liver clinic
4. Moving Ahead
- Setting goals for a healthier you
- Looking at support and services offered by Hepatitis NSW
- Making sure you have everything you need to self-manage living with hep C
- Making informed decisions about whether to start treatment or wait until the time is right
This page was last update 19 December 2016.