We’re always looking for people with lived experience of hep C to become peer faciliators. The work is rewarding, well-paid, only a couple of hours a week, and an exciting way to be part of making hep C history. If this sounds like something that would interest you, please contact us using the confidential form below.
Live healthy, live better, live hep C free
Our health information and treatment access program, Live Hep C Free is run by people who have experience of living with hep C. The program is for people in residential rehabs, accessing homelessness services, and in the community living with hep C and who are looking for ways to improve their health.
The program aims to meet people where they’re at, with the healthcare they need.
Previously known as Living Well, Live Hep C Free has been adapted to be more focused on giving people easier and simpler access to liver health advice and hep C testing and treatment.
This means that everyone who goes through the Hep C Free Program is offered hep C blood testing, a FibroScan, and the option of hep C treatment which we bring onsite.
The Live Hep C Free program is a one day per week course that runs for 4 weeks at residential rehabs and homelessness services. The course is run by people who have lived experience of hep C.
The Live Hep C Free program focuses on helping people to take control of their health and give them the tools to live healthier, to live better, and to live hep C free.
THE 4 WEEKS ARE SET OUT AS FOLLOWS:
1. Understanding Viral Hepatitis
- The ABCs of viral hepatitis
- Separating hep C facts from fiction
- When do you have to tell others you have hep C
- Understanding your rights around disclosure
- Dealing with discrimination
2. Looking After Your Physical Health
- What your liver does and how to look after it
- Eating well and feeling better
- How to read labels and make better food choices
- Boosting our ‘happy chemicals’ – serotonin, dopamine, endorphins, etc.
- Any questions answered by our guest dietician
3. Navigating The Health System
- Understanding the testing process
- How to get your liver health checked
- Getting to grips with treatment and what it involves
- All the information you need about the new treatments
- How to make the health system work for you
- Making the treatment process easier with our guest health worker from a liver clinic
4. Moving Ahead
- Setting goals for a healthier you
- Looking at support and services offered by Hepatitis NSW
- Making sure you have everything you need to take control of your own health
- Making informed decisions about whether to start treatment or wait until the time is right
If Live Hep C Free sounds like something you would be interested in, for yourself or your clients, please contact our project team.
Or use this confidential form
This page last updated 6 March 2018